The following information about Buries Markes Ltd was kindly contributed by a visitor to the web site. Until such time that this brief history can be expanded it is hoped that visitors interested in Buries Markes will derive some benefit from this page.
Buries Markes Ltd was founded in 1930, managing between 1932 and 1934 its first vessel, the CEDRUS (bought second hand). This chartering company situated in the heart of the London shipping market was acquired by L-D in 1938 ordering the company’s first new vessel, the diesel powered LA PAMPA, at the Gothenburg, yard where l-d had already launched its first two modern Procacci type vessels.
The Hispanic name for this vessel symbolizes via B.M. L-D’s recognition towards the Saceif, its Buenos Aires cereal subsidiary which financed the vessel. A strong recognition indeed, since up to this day all B.M. vessels carry Argentinean names.
At the beginning of the second world war, in 1940 William Doxford delivers to B.M. Two bulkers of 9.300 t dwt which will both be sunk: LA ESTANCIA in 1940 and LA CORDILLERA in 1942.
Two Canadian built vessels ” Fort ” type are attributed to B.M. by the Ministry of War Transport (MWT) in compensation of tonnage lost.
At the end of the war B.M. has only the LA PAMPA to which is added in 1947 a new William Doxford vessel, LA CORDILLERA which was able to accommodate 12 passengers.
In 1947 B.M. Buys an American 1944 built vessel, the Cape Ducato renamed the LA ESTANCIA, which becomes the U.K. Flagged MONTCALM of Montship in 1951.
1948: -the Empire Mac Dermott, which was used for the transportation of aircraft from 1944 is converted to a cargo carrier and renamed LA CUMBRE.
In 1951 the Fort Spokane was purchased to become LA ORILLA, then another 1940 built vessel which becomes the LA ESTANCIA, then the Mardene, built 1947 which becomes LA QUINTA and finally the Empire Envoy of 1942 renamed LA ORILLA.
In 1953 a new set of vessels joins the fleet: -firstly a liberty ship which is renamed LA LOMA and two new fast 10.000 t dwt vessels, LA HACIENDA and LA CHACRA.
A period of close co-operation with L-D France commences with French flag vessels in the L-D fleet being transferred to BM and placed under U.K. Flag. Also new vessels built in pairs in French yards are delivered to the two fleets.
In 1954 the PHILIPPE LD (1951), JEAN LD (1935), LOUIS LD (1936), become respectively LA ENSENADA, LA LAGUNA, LA QUINTA.
LA ORILLA, a new vessel enters the fleet in 1955, then a 1940 built Doxford which is renamed LA BARRANCA.
A new vessel built at St Nazaire with engine aft, LA PRADERA, is launched in 1956 similar to the JEAN LD and LOUIS LD.
In 1957, an old Doxford type of 1940 becomes the LA BAHIA and a Sunderland type of 1943, LA COSTA.
In 1958 two sister vessels are built at the Chantiers de Normandie for the Biscore contract with shallow draft for the English ports: the PHILIPPE LD and LA COLINA.
LA SELVA, a shelter car deck vessel of 13.000 t dwt is built in Spain in 1958.
LA FALDA also 1958 built is next, initially with Montship then passed to BM in the same year. Follow LA MAREA in 1958, LA LOMA 1959 and LA LAGUNA all built by Bartram & Sons.
1960/1961 is the period of the Dunkirk ore bulkers. At the same time four similar vessels of 13.600 t dwt are launched at la Seyne; LA ESTANCIA, LA SIERRA, LA PRIMAVERA and LA HORTENSIA.
LA SIERRA is equipped with a Buhler bucket and conveyor-belt self discharging mechanism suited for cereals and other related bulk cargoes.
In 1962, the 1961 built FRANCOIS L-D is renamed LA HACIENDA.
In 1963, the FRANCOIS L-D, the first large great lakes vessel of 24.000 t dwt is launched at La Ciotat together with a sister-ship for B.M. : LA CHACRA, subsequently renamed LAKE BIWA.
1965/1966 sees the launching at Harland & Wolff of two gearless nine hatch 46.000 t dwt vessels; LA ESTANCIA and LA SIERRA.
In 1969 two chemical tankers 2.400 t dwt, LA HACIENDA and LA QUINTA are launched at Wilton Schedam.
1970 sees the launching at Harland & Wolff of LA PAMPA 24.900 t deadweight, the first Hagglund geared vessel for Gearbulk and the first one for Gearbulk to be built in Europe.
In 1972 comes the first order in Japan for a 245.000 t dwt, gearless ten hold bulker; LA LOMA.
1973 is the year of unprecedented diversification; a gas carrier with Moss and Rosenberg tanks is launched at Stavanger for B.M.; the NORMAN LADY which enters service in 1976 before being sold six years later to a Bermudan company.
Still in 1973, the ALAIN LD is transferred to B.M. to become LA CORDILLERA.
In the ten years that follow eight chemical tankers enter the Interchem fleet.
They are in 1974 LA BAHIA (1972) and LA FALDA (1972) and in 1976 LA SELVA (1974), LA CUMBRE (1975), two new vessels in 1976.: – LA COLINA and LA PRADERA and finally in 1983 the SILVER MERLIN (1966) and SILVER FALCON (1966).
1974: -B.M. orders LA ENSENADA 39.000 t dwt, 5 holds Hagglunds cranes, in Japan for service in Gearbulk.
Three vessels of 39.000 t dwt for Gearbulk will be delivered by Mitsui-Ichihara in 1978/1979; LA COSTA, LA CORDILLERA, LA PRIMAVERA.
LA LOMA (1980) enters the fleet in 1980 together with two 39.000 t dwt polish built vessels; LA ESTANCIA and LA SIERRA for Gearbulk.
In 1981 and 1982, two gearless panamax bulkers of 77.000 t dwt, LA PAMPA and LA CHACRA enter service.
In 1991 the capesize vessel LA LOMA 113.000 t dwt built Japan 1979 joins the fleet.