The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
Shipwrecked Mariners Christmas Card Appeal
MN Veterans Badge

PRINCE LINE

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

CELTIC PRINCE (1) was built in 1917 by Short Bros. at Sunderland with a tonnage of 8558grt, a length of 449ft 6in, a beam of 57ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots. Sister of the Gaelic Prince she was completed in June 1918. After eight years service she was sold to Deutsche Dampshiff Ges. 'Hansa' of Bremen in 1926 and renamed Schonfels. In May 1938 she was acquired by Hamburg Sud Amerika Linie who changed her name to Bahia Blanca. On 9th December 1939 she sailed from Buenos Aires for Germany and on 10th January 1940, when she was in the Denmark Strait, she hit an iceberg and sank on the following day.

GOTHIC PRINCE (1) was built in 1917 by Palmers Co. at Jarrow with a tonnage of 8552grt, a length of 451ft 8in, a beam of 57ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots. Sister of the Gaelic Prince she remained with the company until 15th March 1927 when she was sold to Deutsche Dampshiff Ges. 'Hansa' of Bremen who renamed her Sonnenfels. In September 1938 she was acquired by the Hamburg Sud Amerika Linie and renamed Bahia Camerones. She was briefly requisitioned by the German Navy in October 1939 as the Sperrbrecker 1 before being returned to her owners on 30th July 1940. On 5th June 1941 she began conversion into a troopship and was commissioned on the 9th July. On 12th January 1945 she was in a convoy that was attacked by the British cruisers HMS Norfolk and HMS Bellona and the destroyers HMS Onslow, HMS Onslaught and HMS Orwell south of Eggersund in Norway. The Bahia Camerones was wrecked and beached.

SLAVIC PRINCE (1) was built in 1917 by Palmers Co. at Jarrow with a tonnage of 8561grt, a length of 451ft 8in, a beam of 57ft 4in and a service speed of 12 knots. Sister of the Gaelic Prince she was completed in October 1918 and remained with the company until 1926 when she was sold to Deutsche Dampschiff Ges. 'Hansa' of Bremen and renamed Rabenfels. In May 1938 she was sold to Hamburg Sud Amerika Linie who renamed her Bahia Laura. On 14th October 1939 she undertook a blockade breaking run from Buenos Aires to Hamburg where she arrived on 5th December disguised as the Soviet ship Minsk. She was requisitioned as a troop transport for Operation Sealion, the invasion of Southern England, on 22nd August 1940 but stood down on the following 4th December. On 25th April 1941 she began trooping to Norway and on 30th August, when bound for Solven in the Lofoten Islands, she was torpedoed by the British submarine HMS Trident with the loss of 450 lives.(Photo: Hildebrand)

PERSIAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1918 by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5685grt, a length of 405ft, a beam of 52ft 4in and a service speed of 11 knots. Completed in July 1918 she began service for the Shipping Controller with Prince Line Ltd as managers. In 1933 she was sold to D. D. Stathatos of Ithaca and renamed Ann Stathatos By 1946 she was owned by A. D. Stathatos and in 1951 she was sold to Pala & Franceschesini of Genoa who renamed her Cadore. She was broken up at Yokohama in April 1959.

ARABIAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1919 by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5764grt, a length of 405ft, a beam of 52ft 4in and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Persian Prince she was delivered in January 1919. She was sold to Turner, Brightman & Co. of London for operation as the Zenada by the 'Z' Steam Ship Co. in 1927. In 1933 she was acquired by Theofanos Maritime of Chios, with N. G. Livanos as managers, and renamed Nestos. On 2nd April 1941, during a voyage from New Orleans to Garston, she was wrecked in fog on the Hoyle Bank at the entrance of the River Mersey after being half a mile off course. (Photo: World Ship Society)

MANCHURIAN PRINCE was built in 1913 by Robert Duncan & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 5119grt, a length of 405ft, a beam of 53ft and a service speed of 10 knots. She was completed as the Ardgair in May 1913 for Lang & Fulton's Ardgair Steamship Co. of Glasgow and acquired by Prince Line in 1918 and renamed Manchurian Prince. In 1933 she was sold to the Continental Indies Shipping Co. of Bridgetown, Barbados and renamed Naana for management by William A. Shaw of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Two years later she was acquired by Atlantska Plovidba of Susak who changed her name to Senga. In 1946 her owners were restyled Jugoslavenska and the ship's name was changed to Korcula. In April of the same year she was broken up at Hong Kong.

GRECIAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1918 by Short Bros. at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5263grt, a length of 400ft, a beam of 52ft 5in and a service speed of 10.5 knots. One of five vessels she was launched on 28th August 1918 as the War Hind for the Shipping Controller and when completed on 10th October was placed under the management of the Ropner Shipping Co. Taken over by Prince Line and renamed Grecian Prince in 1919 she was transferred to Warren Line in 1924 when her name was changed to Savannah. In 1927 she was sold to Ivo Racic's Atlanska Plovidba of Dubrovnik and became the Nevesinje. When the Jugoslavenska Lloyd was formed in 1928 she was one of the original 28 ships which made up the fleet. On 8th September 1928 she grounded at Parda Point in the Straits of Magellan during a voyage from Buenos Aires to Coronel. Pulled free and beached on 5th November by Braun & Blanchard of Valparaiso she was repaired during 1929 by Braun & Blanchard and renamed Coquimbo for operation by their S. A. Commercial. In 1932 she was sold to Cia de Nav. Interoceanica of Valparaiso who renamed her Valparaiso. Three years later she was acquired by A. Barbarevic of Rijeka who renamed her Prince Pavel and in 1942 was taken over by Petrinovic & Co. as the Franka. In 1946, when the fleets were nationalised, she was renamed Kordun by Dubrovacka Plovidba of Dubrovnik and in 1955 her owners became Jugoslavenska Oceanska Plovidba. On 30th October 1959 she arrived in Hong Kong where she was broken up.

KOREAN PRINCE was built in 1918 by Bartram & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 4980grt, a length of 400ft, a beam of 52ft 5in and a service speed of 10.5 knots. Sister of the Grecian Prince she was built as the Hindustan for Common Bros. of Newcastle and acquired by Prince Line in 1918 and renamed Korean Prince. She was sold to D. J. Pateras & Sons of Chios in 1934 and renamed Diamantis. On 3rd October 1939 she was torpedoed by U-35 off Land's Ends.

SPARTAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1919 by Earl's Co. at Hull with a tonnage of 5247grt, a length of 400ft 5in, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 10.5 knots. Sister of the Grecian Prince she was completed on 11th January 1919 as the War Shark for the Shipping Controller and taken over by Furness Withy and renamed Spartan Prince for Prince Line Ltd. In 1923 she was transferred to Warren Line (Liverpool) Ltd and renamed Bay State. She was sold to D. D. Strathatos of Piraeus in 1928 and renamed Eleni Strathatos. On 28th October 1929 she was wrecked on Fernando Noronha during a voyage from Swansea to Ibicuy.

TROJAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1918 by Bartram & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 5226grt, a length of 400ft, a beam of 52ft 5in and a service speed of 10.5 knots. The first of ten standard ships built by Bartram's she was launched on 27th May 1918 as the War Perch for the Shipping Controller. Sister of the Grecian Prince she completed her trials on 6th June and was delivered to Prince Line as the Trojan Prince. In 1923 she was transferred to Warren Line (Liverpool) Ltd and renamed Hoosac. She was sold to Petrinovic & Co's Jugoslavenska Lloyd AD of Dubrovnik and renamed Nemanja in 1930. On 8th April 1942 she was torpedoed by U-84 when 195 west of Cape Sable.

TARTAR PRINCE (2) was built in 1918 by Wm. Gray & Co. at West Hartlepool with a tonnage of 5214grt, a length of 400ft, a beam of 52ft 5in and a service speed of 10.5 knots. Sister of the Grecian Prince she was completed in May 1918 as the War Jackdaw for the Shipping Controller with Furness,Withy & Co. as managers. In 1919 she was acquired by the Furness, Withy subsidiary Peareth Steamship Co. of Newcastle and renamed Tartar Prince. Five years later she was transferred to Prince Line Ltd, retaining her name. She was sold to Societe Misr de Nav. Maritime of Alexandria in 1933 and renamed Fostat. In 1939 she was renamed Star of Luxor when she was acquired by the Alexandria Steam Navigation Co. of Alexandria, the Red Rose Line, with Watts Watts & Co. as managers. On 10th December 1941 she was torpedoed by U-130 off Rockall. (Photo: FW Hawks)

ALGERIAN PRINCE was built in 1919 by J. Priestman & Co. at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3089grt, a length of 331ft 4in, a beam of 46ft 10in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was laid down as the War Isthmus for the Shipping Controller. Launched on 14th August 1919 she was delivered to Prince Line Ltd in the following October as the Algerian Prince. In 1936 she was sold for £17,500 to Societe Algerienne de Navigation pour L'Afrique du Nord of Algiers, owned by Charles Schiaffino & Cie, and renamed Louis Charles Schiaffino. She came under Vichy control in July 1940 and on 26th February 1941 she was mistakenly sunk by a German aircraft off the Algerian coast.

CYPRIAN PRINCE (2)/MOORISH PRINCE (3) was built in 1919 by J. Blumer & Co. at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3071grt, a length of 331ft 4in, a beam of 46ft 10in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Algerian Prince she was laid down as the War Planet for the Shipping Controller, launched on 29th July and completed in the September as the Cyprian Prince. In August 1936 she was renamed Moorish Prince to release the name for a new building and then sold to Chas. Hill & Sons' Bristol City Line who renamed her Gloucester City. She became the Namaqualand when she was acquired by the South African Lines of Cape Town in 1949 and, two years later, the Kaderbaksh when sold to the United Oriental Steam Ship Co. of Karachi. In December 1961 she arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi where she was broken up. (Photo: R Sherlock)

SYRIAN PRINCE (2)/WELSH PRINCE (4) was built in 1919 by J. L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3072grt, a length of 331ft 4in, a beam of 46ft 10in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Algerian Prince she was laid down as the War Rock for the Shipping Controller and completed on 11th November 1919 as the Syrian Prince for Prince Line Ltd. In 1936 she was renamed Welsh Prince to release the name for a new building and then sold to Pasqual Mazella of Naples who changed her name to Deo Mazella. On 8th September 1943 she was seized by the Germans at Venice and used to transport supplies to troops in Jugoslavia and on 30th September was sunk by Partizan forces near Sebenico. (Photo: John Clarkson Collection)

EGYPTIAN PRINCE (3) was built in 1903 by W. Dobson & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 507grt, a length of 164ft, a beam of 25ft and a service speed of 9 knots. She was built as the Waterland for Furness, Withy's Shipping & Coal Co. of London but transferred to their Sheepvaart en Steenkolen Maas of Rotterdam. In 1921 she was renamed Egyptian Prince for Prince Line Ltd and in the following year was sold to Khedivial Mail Steam Ship & Graving Dock Co. of London who changed her name to Ramleh for management by Lord Earnest Hamilton. She was sold on to Ahmed Ibrahim El Kouedi of Alexandra in 1931 who renamed her Lateef. By 1933 she was owned by Ovadia Israil Ovadia of Alexandria with the same name and in 1946 reverted to Ramleh when she was acquired by Trans Mediterranean Nav. Co. of Alexandria with A. Tanielan as manager. She became the Shadwan in 1947 when under the ownership of N. Kyriacou of Alexandria before reverting to Trans Mediterranean and being removed from the register in 1980.

EGYPTIAN PRINCE (4) was built in 1921 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton Hill with a tonnage of 4898grt, a length of 363ft 5in, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 11 knots. She was launched as the Egyptian Prince but delivered to Wilhelm Wilmhelmsen's A/S Norge Mexoco Gulf Linien of Tonsberg as the Louisiana to replace a ship requisitioned by the Shipping Controller. On 7th March 1927 she was sold to Ozean-Dampfer A. G. of Flensburg and renamed Nord-Friesland. In 1930 she was transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd of Bremen and renamed Munster. She was chartered to Hamburg-Sud Amerika Linen of Hamburg in 1935 and taken over by them in 1938 when she was renamed Corrientes. When World War 2 broke out in September 1939 she was interned at Las Palmas and taken over by the Spanish Government in September 1942 and renamed Monte Moncayo. In 1944 she was transferred to Naviera Aznar of Bilboa without a change of name. She was renamed Tajuna when she was acquired by Maritima Madrilena S. A. of Bilboa in January 1957. On 10th December 1957 she went aground at Mazarron during a storm and was broken up at Cartagena in the following year.

LANCASTRIAN PRINCE (2)/ITALIAN PRINCE (2) was built in 1921 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton Hill with a tonnage of 3478grt, a length of 363ft 5in, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Egyptian Prince she entered service in May 1921 as the Lancastrian Prince but was renamed Italian Prince in 1922. On 7th September 1938 all 43 crew were saved by other ships when she caught fire and was abandoned off Cape Finesterre. (Photo: A Duncan)

EGYPTIAN PRINCE (5) was built in 1922 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton Hill with a tonnage of 3490grt, a length of 363ft 5in, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 11 knots. She was launched as Braziliana for Furness Withy but delivered in May 1922 as the Egyptian Prince to replace the Egyptian Prince (4) which never saw service with Prince Line. In 1946, after surviving the war, she was sold to Cie des Bateaux du Nord of Dunkirk and renamed Lorrain. Seven years later, in 1953, she was acquired by Soc. Monegasque de Transports Maritimes of Monte Carlo and renamed Herculis. She was broken up in Toulon during February 1960. (Photo: B Fielden)

LANCASTRIAN PRINCE (3) was built in 1921 by Furness Shipbuilding Co. at Haverton Hill with a tonnage of 3482grt, a length of 363ft 5in, a beam of 52ft 2in and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Egyptian Prince she was completed in June 1921 as the Tunisiana for Furness, Withy & Co. and transferred to Prince Line Ltd as the Lancastrian Prince in 1922. In 1938 she was sold to Cie des Bateaux du Nord of Dunkirk who renamed her Champenois and on 19th April 1941 became a total loss when she ran aground near Casablanca.

Next
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge