The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
MN Veterans Badge

WM. MILBURN & CO.

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5


The Fleet

PORT DENISON (1) was built in 1887 by R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 3506grt, a length of 375ft, a beam of 42ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was launched on 23rd July 1887 for the Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co and completed her maiden voyage from London to Australia in 39 days on the 7th September. When the decision to discontinue the carriage of passengers was taken she commenced her final voyage for the company on 13th June 1892 before being sold to J. Jover y Costas of Barcelona and renamed Miguel Jover. In 1918 she was sold to Hijos de Jose Taya S en C of Barcelona retaining her name but only until 1921 when it was changed to P. Claris. She was finally broken up in Italy in 1926.

PORT CAROLINE (1) was built in 1889 by W Dobson & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 3528grt, a length of 378ft 6in, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 10 knots. Built to the same specification as the Port Denison her passenger accommodation included a ladies boudoir, a music room and a smoking room. She was equipped with carbon filament electric lighting throughout the ship and a 'surgeon' and stewardess were carried. The third class accommodation for up to 500 passengers was described as 'unrivalled' and prospective travellers were invited to inspect the cabins at the London Docks. Suffering the same fate as the Port Denison she was sold to J. Jover y Costas of Barcelona in 1893 and renamed J. Jover Serra. In 1918 she was sold to Hijos de Taya S en C of Barcelona and renamed Roger de Lluria with whom she stayed for until 1922 when she was broken up in Spain.

PORT FAIRY was built in 1887 by Wigham, Richardson & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 2581grt, a length of 330ft, a beam of 38ft 4in and a service speed of 11 knots. She commenced her maiden voyage from London to Sydney for Anglo -Australasian S. N. Co. on 2nd January 1888 but, because she was predominantly a passenger ship was sold in 1892 to J. H. Andressen Successores of Oporto and renamed Doña Maria. In 1907 she was purchased by Booth Steamship Co. (1900) Ltd. retaining her name and undertook her first voyage for the new company in August 1907 from Liverpool to Manaus. She was sold for scrap in 1909 but purchased by Ellerman Lines of Liverpool with Fred Smith as manager. Renamed Italian she was deployed on Papayanni's Mediterranean service until 1913 when she was broken up by Thos. W. Ward at Preston.

PORT CHALMERS (1) was built in 1887 by J. L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 41541grt, a length of 371ft, a beam of 46ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. Completed after the decision to discontinue carrying passengers had been made she remained in service for Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. until 1896 when she was sold to Federal S. N. Co of London, retaining her name. She was sold to the US Government in 1898 for use during the Spanish-American war as a refrigerated produce ship in the Pacific and renamed Glacier. By 1920 she was owned by Northern Fisheries Inc. of San Francisco with the same name where she remained until 1941 when she was sold to Carabella Steamship Co. of Panama and renamed Carabella. In 1944 she was purchased by Cia. Continental de Nav. of Vera Cruz in Mexico and renamed in the following year to Presidente Juarez. She was under the ownership of Cia. de Exportacion Mexicana S.A. in 1955 and in the following year was broken up by Thos. W. Ward after 65 years service. Loaded with coal she suffered engine failure off Hampton Roads and towed into Bermuda. From there, and still fully laden, she was towed to Rotterdam by Smit's tug Tyne where she was unloaded and sold for scrap to Thomas Young & Sons of Sunderland but towed to Thos. Ward's at Inverkeithing by Smit's tug Loire.

PORT ALBERT (1) was built in 1891 by W Dobson & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 4370grt, a length of 390ft, a beam of 46ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Completed for the Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. she made her final sailing from London to Sydney on 2nd August 1894. About the same time Japan declared war on China who had sent troops into Korea to intervene in a civil war. Desperately needing ships to transport troops the Japanese Government acquired the Port Albert and renamed her Kagoshima Maru. The war ended in February 1895 but she continued to repatriate troops until January 1896 when she was transferred to Nippon Yusen Kaisha K. K. of Tokyo, retaining her name. As new and larger ships joined the NYK fleet she was sold, in 1910, to Harada Shoko, later restyled Harada Kisen K.K., of Osaka where she remained until January 1918 when she went missing on a voyage from Saigon to Port Said.

PORT DOUGLAS was built in 1891 by Sir James Laing & Sons. at Sunderland with a tonnage of 4285grt, a length of 390ft, a beam of 46ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Port Albert she joined Wm. Milburn & Co on their Sydney service on 24th October 1891but only until the following year. On 24th May 1892, during her second voyage from London to Australia via the Cape, she was wrecked on the Cape Verde Islands. The bulk of the cargo was recovered by the locals but attempts to salvage her failed and in the September she was declared a total constructive loss.

PORT MELBOURNE (1) was built in 1892 by R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. at Hebburn-on-Tyne with a tonnage of 4670grt, a length of 372ft, a beam of 48ft and a service speed of 11 knots. She wasn't classified as a passenger ship but had the capability to carry 500 troops in the 'tween decks. She commenced her maiden voyage for Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. on 19th November 1892. On 27th January 1899, while on charter to the National Line of Liverpool, she was reported missing during a voyage from New York to London with the loss of 52 lives.

PORT HUNTER (1) was built in 1892 by R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. at Hebburn-on-Tyne with a tonnage of 4794grt, a length of 372ft, a beam of 48ft and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Port Melbourne she followed a similar career to the Port Albert. She remained with Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. until 1st August 1894 when she was purchased by the Japanese Government for use during the Sino-Japanese war and renamed Riojan Maru. In 1896 she was sold to Nippon Yusen Kaisha, retaining her name, where she remained until 1910 when she was sold to Harada Shoko, later restyled Harada Kien K.K. of Osaka. On 28th May 1921 she was wrecked 45 miles north of the Gaspar Straits during a voyage from Dairen to Batavia.

WOODHORN was built in 1894 by L Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 1283grt, a length of 235ft, a beam of 34ft 1inft and a service speed of 9 knots. She was actually owned by the Ashington Coal Company of Newcastle with Wm. Milburn & Co. as managers. A collier, she was used to provide the ships sailing out of London with coal and stayed with the company until 1912 when she was sold to B. Stolt-Neilsen of Haugesund, Norway and renamed Tento. She became a war loss sometime during 1918 as by 1919 she was no longer listed in Lloyds Register.

PORT ELLIOT (1) was built in 1894 by W Dobson & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 3556grt, a length of 357ft, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. Launched on 20th January 1894 and completed by the following March she was the first cargo only ship built for the Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. to replace the passenger ships. In 1906 she was sold to Adolphe Deppe's Cie Royale Belgo-Argentine Société of Antwerp and renamed Republica Argentina. She was eventually broken up at Genoa during 1933.

PORT STEPHENS (1) was built in 1894 by J. L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3554grt, a length of 357ft, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. Sister of the Port Elliot she was delivered to Anglo-Australasian S. N. Co. in April 1894 where she remained until 3rd October 1906 when, during a voyage from Oamaru, NZ to Newcastle in New South Wales her propeller shaft snapped and the rotating screw pulled it out of the stern assembly. The ship began to flood and the pumps were immediately deployed to dispel the inrushing sea but were unable to cope and she was abandoned without loss of life on 8th October.

PORT HUNTER (2) was built in 1895 by J. L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3552grt, a length of 357ft, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. Another sister of the Port Elliot she was completed for Wm. Milburn & Co. but only remained with the company for two years before being sold to Gordon Steam Shipping Co. of London and renamed Dargai. On 28th August 1914 she was wrecked on the English Bar in the River Plate during a voyage from Hull to Montevideo. The notorious tide race in the estuary caused the ship to slew round onto the sandbank where she heeled into the mud becoming fixed by suction and breaking her back. No lives were lost and much of the cargo was successfully salavaged.

PORT DENISON (2) was built in 1896 by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. at Willington Quay, Newcastle with a tonnage of 3435grt, a length of 357ft, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. The fourth ship of the Port Elliot Class she was delivered to Wm. Milburn & Co. where she remained until 1907 when she was sold to Bede Steam Shipping Co. of Newcastle with Frew, Elder & Co. as managers and renamed Bedeburn. In 1918 she was sold to Britain Steam Ship Co. of London and managed by Watts, Watts & Co. who renamed her Chiswick. By 1928 she was named Zigurds and registered in the USSR. She was purchased by Italian owner E. F. Aguardo in 1932, renamed Santa Marta and finally broken up in 1934 at Ravenna.

PORT ALBERT (2) was built in 1897 by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 3514grt, a length of 357ft, a beam of 44ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. Built to the Port Elliot specification she was delivered to Wm. Milburn & Co. in June 1897. In 1906 she was sold to Marc, Wallenberg of Stockholm, but owned by Aktiebolaget Sydafrikanska Handels Komp, for the Stockholm - Gothenburg - South Africa service and renamed Delagoa. Two years later the company extended its service to the Far East and on 11th April 1910 she became a total loss when she went aground on Minicoy Island, Laccadives during a voyage from Singapore to Gothenburg.

Next
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge