The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
MN Veterans Badge

GLEN LINE FLEET

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12



BRECONSHIRE (2) was built in 1940 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. at Dundee with a tonnage of 9061grt, a length of 512ft 8in, a beam of 66ft 4in and a service speed of 18 knots. She was intended to be Blue Funnel's Telemachus (3) but in February 1941 was taken over by the Ministry of Transport and renamed Empire Activity. In January 1942, still unfinished, she was requisitioned by the Admiralty for conversion into an escort aircraft carrier and commissioned as HMS Activity on 15th September. With 15 aircraft she was initially used as a deck landing training ship and then, in 1943, as an escort for the North Atlantic and Russian convoys. In April 1944 whilst escorting a Russian convoy in company with escort carriers HMS Avenger and HMS Tracker her aircraft sank three U-boats. During 1945 she was used to ferry aircraft to the Pacific Fleet and later to carry aircraft spares/stores from Ceylon to the British Fleet. In December 1945 she was relegated to the surplus list and purchased by Glen Lines 'as seen' in May 1946. Reconverted to a Glenearn Class by Palmers at Hebburn-on-Tyne and renamed Breconshire she was deployed to maintain the Shire element on the Far East Conference and commenced operations in September 1947. On 20th April 1967 she sailed from Kobe en-route to Mihara where she was broken up.

GLENORCHY (3) was built in 1941 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. at Dundee with a tonnage of 9975grt, a length of 512ft 8in, a beam of 66ft 4in and a service speed of 18 knots. Her keel was laid in 1939 but in January 1940 she was taken over by the Admiralty for conversion into an escort aircraft carrier. However, construction was at an advanced stage so the plan was dropped and she was completed as per design joining the Blue Funnel fleet in late 1941 as the Priam (4). During her maiden voyage to Port Said via the Cape of Good Hope and Suez with a cargo of explosives and other stores in the holds and tanks on deck she encountered heavy weather. The tanks broke loose and moved causing the ship go down at the bow enabling water to enter the forward holds and damage the cargo. She proceeded to Freetown in Sierra Leone where the cargo was restowed before proceeding to Suez. However, when the ship arrived at Suez the authorities would not allow her to enter the Canal due to the dangerous nature of saturated explosives which were, consequently, unloaded. This led to a dispute between the owners and the insurers which became known as the 'Priam Case' and set a precedent for similar water damage claims. On V-J day, 15th August 1945, she arrived at Birkenhead and was the first Holt vessel to be returned to commercial service. In 1948 she underwent a refit at Birkenhead and was transferred to Glen Line to replace the Glenorchy (2) which had been torpedoed and sunk during 'Operation Pedestal'. She was transferred back to Blue Funnel in 1970 and renamed Phemus (4) and on 27th April 1971 arrived in Kaohsiung to be broken up. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

RADNORSHIRE (2) was built in 1948 by the Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. with a tonnage of 7632grt, a length of 487ft, a beam of 62ft 3in and a service speed of 15.5 knots. The sixth ship of the Mark A1 Class she was delivered to Blue Funnel in December 1947 as the Achilles (4) and in April 1949 she was transferred to Glen Line and renamed Radnorshire to maintain the service to the Far East out of London which, due to war-time port damage and congestion, required an additional ship. She returned to Blue Funnel in December 1962 and renamed Asphalion (2) but in January 1966 was transferred to the Dutch subsidiary company N.S.M 'Oceaan' as the Polyphemus. In November 1972 she returned to Blue Funnel as the Asphalion until October 1975 when she was sold to Gulf (Shipowners) Ltd of London and renamed Gulf Anchor. She was finally broken up at Koahsiung in 1979. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

GLENFINLAS (3) was built in 1946 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast with a tonnage of 7639grt, a length of 487ft, a beam of 62ft 3in and a service speed of 15.5 knots. A Mark A1 Class she was launched as the Calchas for the subsidiary company China Mutual Steam Navigation Co for the Far East service out of London and commenced operations on 17th January 1947. In November 1957 she was transferred to Glen Line on a five year charter and renamed Glenfinlas reverting to Calchas in November 1962. During 1970-71 she was operated by Elder Dempster Lines on their West Africa service and in their livery. In July 1973, whilst at Port Kelang in Malaysia, she was damaged by a fire which lasted 5 days and deemed to be beyond economical repair resulting in her being towed to Kaohsiung for breaking up. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

GLENFRUIN (2) was built in 1948 by Scott's Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 7654grt, a length of 463ft, a beam of 62ft 3in and a service speed of 15.5 knots. She was completed as the Astyanax (2) for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. and in November 1957 was transferred to Glen Line on a five year charter as the Glenfruin reverting to her former company and name in September 1962. On 18th December 1972 she arrived at Kaohsiung and broken up by the Cheung Yuan Steel Co.

CARDIGANSHIRE was built in 1950 by Caledon Shipbuilding and Engineering Co with a tonnage of 7707grt, a length of 487ft, a beam of 62in 3in and a service speed of 15.5 knots. She was delivered to Blue Funnel as the Bellerophon (3) and transferred to Glen Line in 1957 to fulfill the Shire element and renamed Cardiganshire but only for a very short period. In the same year she was transferred to China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. and reverted to Bellerophon until 1975 when she was transferred to Elder Dempster Lines retaining her name. She was sold in 1976 to Saudi-Europe Ltd and renamed Obhor and ended her career on charter for the making of a film as the Belle, subsequently, arriving at Gadani Beach for breaking up on 23rd September,1978. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

GLENSHIEL (3) was built in 1943 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7308grt, a length of 441ft 6in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. A Liberty ship, she was launched as the Simon B. Elliott for the US War Shipping Administration but was completed as the Samnese on a Lease-Lend bare-boat charter to the M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt Co. as managers. She was acquired by Blue Funnel in 1947 for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. and named Eumaeus (3) and was transferred to Glen Line in March 1952 and renamed Glenshiel. In 1975 she reverted to China Mutual and renamed Euryades (3) until 1961 when she was under the ownership of Bounty Shipping Co. of Hong Kong with the name Marine Bounty. On 25th February 1966, during a voyage from Chingwantao to Singapore with a cargo of coal, she grounded at Hsie-Shan, was refloated but driven ashore again where she broke in two. (Photo: A Duncan)

GLENLOGAN (1) was built in 1943 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7314grt, a length of 441ft 6in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. A Liberty ship, she was launched as the Matthew Brush for the US War Shipping Administration but was completed as the Samoa on a Lease-Lend bare-boat charter to the M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt Co. as managers. Acquired in 1947 for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. she was renamed Eurymedon (3) and transferred to Glen Line in April 1952 as the Glenlogan. She reverted to China Mutual as the Eurymedon in 1957 until, in 1958, she was sold to Etolika Cia.Nav.S.A of Piraeus and renamed Angelos. In 1964 she was sold on to Michael A. Arakingi of Beirut and renamed Mimosa and in 1966 became the Alplata owned by Alplata Shipping Corp of Monrovia. She was finally sold to Maria de Lourdes Shipping Co. of Cyprus with the name Anka in 1967 and was broken up at Bilbao in June 1971. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

PEMBROKESHIRE (1) was built in 1943 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7292grt, a length of 441ft 6in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. A Liberty ship, she was launched as the Augustine Herman for the US War Shipping Administration but was completed as the Samsette on a Lease-Lend bare-boat charter to the M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt Co. as managers. Purchased by the China Mutual S.N.Co. in 1947 she was renamed Euryplus (2). She was transferred to Glen Line in 1950 and renamed Pembrokeshire but in 1957 reverted back to China Mutual and Euryplus. In 1960 she was sold to the Federal Shipping Co. of Hong Kong, and renamed Kota Bahru, with whom she remained until 1966 when she was acquired by the Cresta Shipping Co. of Panama and named Cresta. She was broken up in February 1968 at Kaohsiung in Taiwan.

GLENBEG (2) was built in 1944 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7234grt, a length of 441ft 7in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. She was completed as the Samjack and started life on a bare-boat charter to M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt & Co as managers. In 1947 she was acquired by Blue Funnel, renamed Tydeus (2), and in 1950 was transferred to Glen Line as the Glenbeg. She was sold in 1958 to Forman Shipping & Trading Inc. of Panama, renamed Roan and given a funnel twice the height of a normal Liberty ship. In 1960 she was acquired by the West African Carriers Corp. of Monrovia and renamed Jucar. She was broken up at Mihara in Japan in September 1967.

FLINTSHIRE (3) was built in 1943 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7297grt, a length of 441ft 7in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. A Liberty ship, she was launched as the James Carroll for the US War Shipping Administration but was completed as the Samgara on a Lease-Lend bare-boat charter to the M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt Co. as managers. She was purchased by Blue Funnel in 1947 as the Titan (3) and transferred to Glen Line and renamed Flintshire in 1950. Reverting back to Blue Funnel and Titan in 1958 she was sold to Tidewater Commercial Co. Inc. of Monrovia in 1962 with the name Titanus until December 1969 when she was broken up at Minhara, Japan.

GLENIFFER (3) was built in 1943 by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc at Baltimore in Maryland, USA with a tonnage of 7291grt, a length of 441ft 7in, a beam of 57ft and a service speed of 11 knots. Launched as the Peter Cooper for the US War Shipping Administration she was completed as the Samarkand for the M.O.W.T with Alfred Holt & Co as managers. She was acquired by Blue Funnel as the Talthybius (2) and transferred to Glen Line as the Gleniffer in 1954. where she remained until 1958 when she was sold to Colombine Shipping Co. of Monrovia and renamed Dove. In 1965 she was acquired by Patriarch Steamship Co. of Monrovia and renamed Patriac Sky and on 30th March of that year arrived at Split for breaking up. (Photo from the Iain Lovie Collection)

GLENIFFER (4) was built in 1913 by R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 7552grt, a length of 455ft 3in, a beam of 56ft 3in and a service speed of 11 knots. She was built as the Lycaon (1) for the China Mutual S.N. Co. with Alfred Holt & Co. as managers. In January 1949 she had to be towed 500 miles to Cape Town by the Blue Funnel vessel Demodocus after losing her propeller. She was transferred to Glen Line as the Gleniffer in 1951 as a stop gap to maintain the service pending the transfer of a more modern ship. She was the last pre WW1 coal burning vessel and remained with the fleet for just one year. In 1952 she was sold for scrap and broken up at Faslane in Scotland.

GLENLOCHY (2) was built in 1931 by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 7797grt, a length of 478ft 3in, a beam of 59ft 3in and a service speed of 14 knots. She was completed as the Ajax (3) for Blue Funnel's Far East service and, subsequently, the Round the World service. For a short period she had a grey hull with green boot-topping. In March 1942 she was one of a four ship convoy which made a dash from Alexandria to Malta as a decoy for the main convoy which was coming from Gibraltar and which was badly mauled. She was transferred to Glen Line as the Glenlochy in 1957 but reverted back to Blue Funnel as the Sarpedon in 1958. In August 1962 she arrived in Hong Kong and remained at anchor there until the following year when she was scrapped.

MONMOUTHSHIRE (1) was built in 1943 by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. at Dundee with a tonnage of 8265grt, a length of 489ft, a beam of 61ft 4in and a service speed of 14 knots. She was built as the Telemachus (4) for Blue Funnel and transferred to Glen Line as the Monmouthshire for a five year period. In 1963 reverted back to Blue Funnel as the Glaucus and in 1964 was chartered to the China Navigation Co. and renamed Nanchang. At the end of the charter she was sold and on 4th April 1968 she arrived in Hong Kong where she was broken up by Leung Yau Shipbreaking. (Photo: World Ship Photo Library)

Next
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge