The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
MN Veterans Badge

ALFRED HOLT & CO
THE BLUE FUNNEL LINE

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22

ANTENOR (1) was built in 1872 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Hebburn-on-Tyne with a tonnage of 2162grt a length of 328ft 7in, a beam of 32ft 7in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Patroclus she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1891 and two years later was sold to Baba Dokiu of Toykyo and renamed Tateyama Maru. She was later owned by Baba Michihisa, Hgashi, Iwase in Japan where she remained until 1921 when she was sold to Inukami Keigoro of Nishinomaya without a change of name. After 57 years of service she was broken up in Japan during 1929. (Photo: National Maritime Museum)

STENTOR (1) was built in 1875 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2025grt a length of 314ft 1in, a beam of 35ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. One of five similar vessels she was completed in 1875 and transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1891. In 1896 she was sold to E. Nathan of Singapore and renamed Charterhouse. She remained there until 1900 when she was sold to Lin Ho Puah of Singapore with out a change of name. On 30th September 1906 during a passage from Haihow to Hong Kong she foundered during a typhoon off Hai-Nan with the loss of all hands. (Photo: Ian J Farquhar Collection)

ANCHISES (1) was built in 1875 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2021grt a length of 314ft 1in, a beam of 35ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Completed in 1875 she entered service with a single square rigged sail on the foremast. Transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1891 she reverted to the British flag in July 1895. In 1896 she was sold to Ung Lee Koo of Penang without a change of name under under the British flag but was wrecked in the same year near Rangoon during a voyage bound for Singapore.
(Photo: Ian J Farquhar Collection)

ORESTES (1) was built in 1875 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2057grt a length of 316ft 6in, a beam of 35ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Delivered in 1875 she was lost off Galle in Ceylon on 7th March 1876 during a voyage from Liverpool to Penang.

ORESTES (2) was built in 1877 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2057grt a length of 316ft 6in, a beam of 35ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Built as a replacement for Orestes (1) she was sold to Japanese owners in 1894 and wrecked in May of the same year during her delivery voyage.

TEUCER (1) was built in 1877 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2057grt a length of 316ft 6in, a beam of 35ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. When completed she was the first ship to have a steel hull. On 30th May 1885 she was wrecked off Ushant during a voyage from Singapore to Amsterdam. (Photo: National Maritime Museum)


SARPEDON (2) was built in 1877 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Hebburn-on-Tyne with a tonnage of 2036grt a length of 310ft, a beam of 34ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was transferred to N. S. M.'Oceaan' in 1893 where she remained until the following year when she was sold to Gomei Kwaisha Umenura Tasaka Kwaisoten of Tokyo and renamed Tamahine Maru. On 4th October 1896 she was wrecked on the coast of Japan.

HECTOR (2) was built in 1877 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Hebburn-on-Tyne with a tonnage of 2111grt a length of 316ft 10in, a beam of 33ft 6in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Sarpedon she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1891 and, in 1894, was sold to Nippon Yusen KK and renamed Moji Maru. In 1910 she was acquired by Kamiya Dembei of Yokohama without a change of name. By 1918 she was owned by Gomei Kaisha ida Shoten of Yokohama in in 1924 ownership had changed to Mojimaru Goshi Kaisya of Kobe. She was finally broken up in 1930 at Fuchu in Japan.

GANYMEDE was built in 1879 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 405grt a length of 166ft 6in, a beam of 28ft and a service speed of 8 knots. Costing £11,000 she was built after Holt's decided to enter the Sumatra - Singapore tobacco trade and operated between Belawan Deli and Singapore. In 1894 she was transferred to N. S. M 'Oceaan' without a change of name and stayed with them until she was sold in 1900. She became a hulk at Belawan Deli in 1907.

SARAH NICHOLSON was a sailing ship built in 1865 by Nicholson & Co. at Annan, Scotland with a tonnage of 934grt, a length of 194ft 8in, and a beam of 32ft 8in. She was built as a sailing barque for Nicholson & Co. of Dumfries and not acquired by Alfred Holt until 1880. Converted into a tobacco storage hulk at Singapore she was towed to Deli where she remained at anchor in the harbour until Holts built their own wharf and tobacco warehouses in 1881.

LAERTES (1) was built in 1879 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2097grt a length of 320ft 6in, a beam of 34ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. When completed in 1879 she was the first of a class of ten ships which still retained the characteristics of the earlier Holt vessels. Built with a better designed hull and powered by a smaller engine the cargo spaces were larger. She was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1894 but returned to the Ocean Steam Ship Co. fleet in 1901. In 1903 she was sold to Li Shek Pang of Hong Kong under the ownership of Hung Hing Steam Ship Co., retaining her name. On 15th December 1917 she was lost after a collision in the Malacca Strait during a voyage in ballast from Rangoon to Singapore. (Photo: Ian J Farquhar Collection)

CYCLOPS (1) was built in 1880 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2064grt a length of 321ft 5in, a beam of 34ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Laertes she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1894 where she remained until 1902 when she was sold to R. Rup and Giulfo of Montevideo, Uruguay and renamed Iberia. She was scrapped at Montevideo during May 1904. (Photo: John Clarkson Collection)

BELLEROPHON (1) was built in 1880 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2154grt a length of 320ft, a beam of 34ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Laertes she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1893 where she remained until 1898 when she was sold to Manakani Toshiro of Uraga and retained her name contrary to the Japanese tradition of naming ships with the 'Maru' suffix. In 1900 she was sold to T. Okasaki of Kobe and renamed Nitto Maru. On 4th April 1915, during a voyage from Otaru to Nagoya, she was wrecked at Tamagawa on the north coast of Honshu.

TELEMACHUS (1) was built in 1880 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Hebburn with a tonnage of 2186grt a length of 320ft 10in, a beam of 34ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Laertes she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1894 but reverted to Ocean Steam Ship Co. in 1899. In 1902 she was sold to Li Shek Pang of Hong Kong, retaining her name. She was sold to Lai Hing Steamship Co in 1936 for further trading but proved to be unsuitable and was broken up at Hong Kong.

JASON (1) was built in 1880 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 2187grt a length of 320ft 10in, a beam of 34ft 7in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1894 where she remained until 1903 when she was sold to Akita Kisen K. K. of Hakodate and renamed Ugo Maru. In 1913 she was sold to Okazaki K. K. K. of Kobe without a change of name and in 1920 was sold on to Mitsubayashi Naosuke of Amagasaki and renamed Nichiun Maru. She ended her career in 1922 when she was broken up in Japan.
(Photo: John Clarkson Collection)

PALAMED (1) was built in 1885 by Andrew Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 2479grt a length of 320ft 2in, a beam of 36ft 6in and a service speed of 10 knots. Entering service in 1885 she remained with Ocean Steam Ship Co. until 1897 when she was sold to Oakai Kikusaburo of Kobe and renamed Kwan-On Maru No. 15. In 1913 she was sold to Busai K. K. Kobe and renamed Nichinan Maru. On 5th January 1928 she was wrecked on the coast of Korea.

PALINURUS was built in 1886 by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 2523grt a length of 326ft 8in, a beam of 36ft 1in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1896 but reverted to Ocean Steam Ship Co. and the British flag in the following year. After completing one voyage to Japan she was sold to Oakai Kikusaburo of Kobe and renamed Kwan-On Maru No. 20. In 1913 she was sold to Okazaki K. K. K. of Kobe and renamed Nippoku Maru. Ownership changed again in 1920 when she was acquired by Goho Shokai K. K. of Susami and in 1923 was purchased by Seito Kaiun K. K. of Nishinomiya and broken up in Japan.

PROMETHEUS (1) was built in 1886 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2376grt a length of 320ft 2in, a beam of 36ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Delivered in 1886 she was transferred to N. S. M. 'Oceaan' in 1894 without a change of name. She was sold to Nippon Yusen Kaisha of Tokio in 1894 and renamed Ushina Maru, later adjusted to Ujina Maru, and was taken over by the Japanese Government for troopship duties during the Russo-Japanese war. On 10th May 1895 she was wrecked in the Gulf of Tai Lin Wau on the east coast of Japan.

DARDANUS (1) was built in 1886 by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 2502grt a length of 326ft 10in, a beam of 36ft 1in and a service speed of 10 knots. Delivered in 1886 she was sold to Nippon Yusen Kabusiki Kaisya of Tokio in 1894 and renamed Otaru Maru. On 3rd May 1903 she was sunk as a block ship at Port Arthur.

ULYSSES (2) was built in 1886 by Scott & Co. at Greenock with a tonnage of 2140grt a length of 320ft 10in, a beam of 36ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was the first triple expansion engined ship in the fleet but as Holt's were not happy with the performance was switched to compound tandem. On 21st April 1890 she was wrecked near to Tanabe in Japan during a voyage from Shanghai to Yokohama.

Next
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge