The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
Shipwrecked Mariners Christmas Card Appeal
MN Veterans Badge

ALFRED HOLT & CO
THE BLUE FUNNEL LINE

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22

MAHA VAJIRUNIS was built in 1881 by C. Mitchell & Co. at Newcastle with a tonnage of 1176grt, a length of 253ft, a beam of 32ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was built for Atjeh Steam Ship Co. of London but based in Singapore and chartered to T. C. Bogaardt. By 1891 the shares in the ship were held by Holts but the ship was operated by Haacke & Co. for trading between Padang in Sumatra, Penang in Malasia and Singapore. Two years later, in 1893, she was operated on the same route by N. S. M. 'Oceaan'. However, freight rates were too competitive with undercutting by the Dutch K. P. M. ships that resulted in rice being carried at 5 cents/kilo. In 1894 Koninklijke Paketvaart Maata (K. P. M.) took over the ship and by 1907 she no longer appeared in Lloyds Register of Shipping.

CHARON was built in 1896 by Workman Clark & Co. at Belfast with a tonnage of 1920grt, a length of 278ft, a beam of 41ft 1in and a service speed of 9.5 knots. She was built for the East India Ocean Steam Ship Co. and transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with the rest of the fleet in 1899 and renamed Bangkok. In 1911 she was sold to Awakoku Kiodo K. K. of Takoaka and renamed Kiodo Maru No.13. The records showed her as being owned by Uchida Kisen K.K. in 1918 and in 1922 her name was modified to Kyodo Maru No.13 when she was acquired by Ogina Laisyo K.K. of Takoaka. In 1933 she was owned by Oginuno Kaisha K. K. of Fushiki ,still as the Kyodo Maru No 13, and in 1945 she became a war loss, probably torpedoed in local waters.

CHINA MUTUAL SHIPS PRIOR TO THE HOLT TAKE OVER

OOPACK (1) was built in 1883 by D & W Henderson & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 2708grt, a length of 350ft, a beam of 41ft 10in and a service speed of 10 knots. Costing £59,000 she was built for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co's Glasgow - London - Hong Kong service, completing the voyage in 41 days. In 1893 she was sold to Nippon Yusen K.K. who renamed her Nagoya Maru. On 25th June 1928 she was wrecked south of Hakodate, Japan.

NINGCHOW (1) was built in 1884 by D & W Henderson & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 2708grt, a length of 350ft, a beam of 41ft 10in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Oopack she was built for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. at a cost of £59,000. In 1899 she was sold to the Bombay & Persia Steam Navigation Co. of Bombay and renamed Monsoori. She was broken up in June 1909 by L. Pittaluga S.A. at Genoa.

CHING WO (1) was built in 1885 by R Dixon & Co. at Middlesbrough with a tonnage of 2526grt, a length of 320ft, a beam of 38ft and a service speed of 10 knots. Built for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. she remained with the company until 1894 when she was sold to Nippon Yusen K.K. and renamed Wakanoura Maru. On 10th August 1943 she was torpedoed by a US submarine east of Sakhalin Island.

KAISOW was built in 1885 by J.L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3099grt, a length of 350ft, a beam of 40ft 11in and a service speed of 10 knots. Built for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. she was sold to Nippon Yusen K.K. in 1894 and renamed Matsuyama Maru. On 11th July 1924 she sank west of Goto Island during a voyage from Keelung to Yokohama.

MOYUNE was built in 1886 by J.L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 2784grt, a length of 346ft 11in, a beam of 41ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Kaisow she was delivered to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in December 1866. She was sold to Nippon Yusen K.K. in 1894 and renamed Shibata Maru. Two year later she was sold to the Lighthouse Department of the Japanese Government who retained her name. In 1908 she was sold to Hong Kong based owners who kept her name and in 1910 was sold to Turkish owners who changed her name to Chefket Pasha. She was sunk during hostilities in 1915 but salved in 1921 and named Ararat. In 1923 her name was changed to the modernised 1910 name Mahmut Sevket Pasha and she was broken up in 1935.

KEEMUN was built in 1890 by J.L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3162grt, a length of 361ft 7in, a beam of 41ft 8in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was delivered to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in November 1890 and sold to Donaldson Line for £26,000 in 1897. In 1900 she was sold to F. Schepens & G. Tonnelier of Antwerp and renamed Patrie. A year later she became the Patria when she was sold to J.H. Andressen Successores of Oporto. In 1905 she was sold to G. S. Patrikios of Argostoli, Greece who renamed her Patricia. On 18th January 1907 she sank after being in a collision off the Haisborough Lightship.

PAK LING was built in 1890 by J.L. Thompson & Sons at Sunderland with a tonnage of 3321grt, a length of 362ft, a beam of 41ft 8in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sister of the Keemun she was completed for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in 1890 and sold to Nippon Yusen K. K. in 1894 who renamed her Yamaguchi Maru. On 15th May 1916 she was wrecked on the Japanese coast.

PING SUEY was built in 1890 by Barclay Curle & Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 3079grt, a length of 365ft, a beam of 41ft 6in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was delivered to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in May 180 and sold to the Argentine Government in 1898 for use as a barracks ship at Buenos Aires with the name Guardia Nacional. Her name was changed to Ombu in 1941 and in 1945 she was sold to Linea Argentina-Sud Africa S.A., with Eugen Eugenides as managers, and renamed Ciudad del Cabo. She was broken up at Buenos Aires in 1950.

KINTUCK was built in 1891 by R Dixon & Co. at Middlesbrough with a tonnage of 3854grt, a length of 360ft, a beam of 45ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. She was completed for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in May 1891 and sold to Nippon Yusen K. K. in 1892 who renamed her Kinshu Maru. On 25th April 1925 she was sunk by Russian warships north of Gensan.

OOLONG was built in 1893 by London & Glasgow Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 3593grt, a length of 360ft, a beam of 44ft 2in and a service speed of 10 knots. Completed for the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in August 1893 she was sold to Bucknall Brothers in 1898 and renamed Bucentaur. In 1911 she was sold to Katsuda Kisen K. K. of Kobe and renamed Saiki Maru. Nineteen year later, in 1930, she was renamed Shoehi Maru by Nippon Kosen K.K. of Kobe and broken up in 1934.

HYSON was built in 1896 by Workman Clark & Co. at Belfast with a tonnage of 4510grt, a length of 410ft, a beam of 48ft 1in and a service speed of 11 knots. She was delivered to the China Mutual Steam Navigation Co. in 1896 and sold to Apcar & Co. of Calcutta in 1903 and was renamed Aratoon Apcar. In 1912 she was sold with the Apcar fleet to the British India Steam Navigation Co. and broken up in 1932.

Back to Ships & Shipping
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge