The Official Site Of The Red Duster, Merchant Navy Research Site
Shipwrecked Mariners Christmas Card Appeal
MN Veterans Badge

BIBBY LINE

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17


LYDIA was built in 1849 at Sunderland with a tonnage of 541 burthen, a length of 120ft and a beam of 28ft 8in. Built for John Bibby & Sons during 1850 she traded between Liverpool and Africa and in the following year on the Liverpool - California where she remained until 1863 when she was acquired by the Albion Line. In 1869 she was sold to Sharp & Co. of Newcastle and by 1870 she was no longer listed in Lloyds Register.

RATTLER was built in 1846 by Lecky & Co. at Cork with a tonnage of 276grt, a length of 127ft, a beam of 22ft 1in.and a service speed of 9 knots. She was acquired by Bibby and Others in 1850. Others included Frederick Chapple who operated his own ships and the Rattler was deployed on the Mediterranean alongside his Osmanli which was a sister ship. The operating company was the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. In 1853 she was transferred to Frederick Chapple and in 1859 she was purchased by foreign owners and thereafter no further details are known about her career.

ARNO was built in 1851 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 660grt, a length of 190ft, a beam of 26ft 5in.and a service speed of 9 knots. She was built for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and in September 1854 was used a transport during the Crimean War. In addition to making several voyages as a transport she was also used as a store ship at Eupatoria. In 1861 she was sold to the General Steam Navigation Co. of London for trading to continental ports and was wrecked in 1866. (Photo: From a painting by George Parker Greenwood)

FRANKFORT was built in 1851 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 657grt, a length of 190ft, a beam of 26ft 5in.and a service speed of 9 knots. Sister of the Arno she was built for Frederick Chapple but deployed with the Arno on the Mediterranean services for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. She was acquired by John Bibby & Sons in 1857 and after eight years service was sold to H. E. Moss of Liverpool. In 1878 ownership was recorded as being with P. MacGuffie of Liverpool and she was lost in 1880.

TIBER was built in 1851 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 660grt, a length of 190ft, a beam of 26ft 5in.and a service speed of 9 knots. Sister of the Arno she was completed for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and during 1854-55 she was chartered for use as a supply ship during the Crimean War. In 1861 she was sold to J. S. & J. R. De Wolfe of Liverpool who lengthened her to 224ft 11in and re-rigged her as a barque which increased her tonnage to 924grt. She grounded in 1871 and was abandoned to the underwriters who salvaged her, removed her engines and converted her into the barque Tiber for management by E. K. Ellison of Liverpool. After a further twenty three years service as a sailing ship she was wrecked in 1894. (Photo: From a painting by G. Caraclolo)

CALPE was built in 1852 by J. & G. Thompson at Glasgow with a tonnage of 799grt, a length of 201ft 2in, a beam of 27ft 4in.and a service speed of 9 knots. She was completed for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and traded to Spanish Mediterranean ports including carrying fruit from Valencia. In 1861 she was lengthened to 297ft 2in which increased her tonnage to 1348grt and went missing in the Bay of Biscay area during 1868.

DANUBE (1) was built in 1853 by J. & G. Thompson at Glasgow with a tonnage of 829grt, a length of 219ft 2in, a beam of 28ft 5in.and a service speed of 9.5 knots. She was completed for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. at a cost of £35,000 and sold to the French Government for Crimean War service in 1855. She was later listed as being sold to Compagnie Generale Maritime but their description does not match her details although the profile is similar. Thereafter, all trace of her was lost.

RHONE (1) was built in 1853 by J. & G. Thompson at Glasgow with a tonnage of 856grt, a length of 220ft, a beam of 28ft 5in.and a service speed of 9.5 knots. Sister of the Danube she was completed for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and sold to the French Government for Crimean War service in 1855. She was later listed as being sold to Compagnie Generale Maritime of Paris but their records do not include a ship of this name. Thereafter, all trace of her was lost.

PIZARRO was built in 1853 by L. Kennedy & Co. at Whitehaven with a tonnage of 416 burthen, a length of 220ft, and a beam of 28ft 5in. Built in wood and ship rigged she was ordered for John Bibby & Sons but delivered to John Bibby, Sons & Co. The company's last new sailing ship she cost £7,950 and made her annual voyage to Valparaiso. In 1857 she was sold to Myers & Co. of Liverpool for continued service to South America. Thirteen years later she was acquired by J. Robinson & Co. of Blyth for their Sunderland - Mediterranean service and by 1873 was no longer listed in Lloyds Register.

DOURO (1) was built in 1853 by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley with a tonnage of 278grt, a length of 155ft 8in, a beam of 22ft 2in.and a service speed of 10 knots. The first of a trio of ships she was built for John Bibby & Sons to establish a regular service between Liverpool and Portugal, a service which, hitherto, had been undertaken by sailing ships. In 1862 she was sold for a considerable profit to the Liverpool agents of the Confederate States of America for use as a blockade runner between Bermuda and Charleston. She was captured outside Charleston and burnt by the Unionist Navy in the following year.

MINHO was built in 1854 by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley with a tonnage of 400grt, a length of 175ft 2in, a beam of 22ft 2in.and a service speed of 10 knots. The second of the trio she entered service on the Liverpool - Oporto - Lisbon service in 1854. In 1862 she was sold, with the Douro, to the Confederate States of America for blockade running and in the following year was destroyed by gunfire from Unionist ships off Carolina.

CINTRA was built in 1854 by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley with a tonnage of 517grt, a length of 178ft 10in, a beam of 24ft 2in.and a service speed of 10 knots. Similar in design to the Minho she was the third ship completed for the service to Portugal. In 1858 she was sold to Cotesworth, Lyne & Co. of Liverpool who reboilered her in 1873 and had a compound engine installed by J. Jack & Co. of Liverpool during 1882. She was wrecked in 1893.

EUPHRATES was built in 1854 by Smith & Rodger at Glasgow with a tonnage of 1134grt, a length of 252ft 10in, a beam of 29ft 1in.and a service speed of 9 knots. On completion in 1854 she was immediately as a transport during the Crimean War and only began to operate on the Levant services in 1856. She was sold to Bailey & Leetham of Hull in 1860 and renamed Bengo. In 1870 she was lengthened to 290ft and converted to tandem 4 cylinder compound, which increased her tonnage to 1268grt, prior to being sold to Gilbert & Cooper of Hull for their Baltic services. She was acquired by Gedeon Coudert of Bordeaux who changed her name to Gedeon Coudert. After a further nine years service she was broken up in France.

TIGRIS & AMAZON were recorded as being laid down for Bibby's but were sold on the stocks to Liverpool owners.

ALBANIAN (1) was built in 1855 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 1034grt, a length of 237ft 10in, a beam of 30ft 1in.and a service speed of 10 knots. Delivered to the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. in 1855 she remained with the company until 1870 when she was sold to W. Brown Atkinson & Co. of Hull for their Baltic services. In 1872 she was lengthened to 287ft 7in by Chas D. Holmes & Co. of Hull which increased her tonnage to 1340grt. She was wrecked in the Baltic during 1890.

CORINTHIAN was built in 1855 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 1170grt, a length of 238ft 5in, a beam of 29ft 7in.and a service speed of 10 knots. Similar to the Albanian she was built for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and in the Autumn of 1864 was lost off the Portuguese coast in fog.

MILAN was built in 1855 by J. Reid & Co. at Port Glasgow with a tonnage of 1083grt, a length of 240ft 2in, a beam of 31ft 2in.and a service speed of 10 knots. Similar to the Corinthian she was built for the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. and remained with company until 1871 when she was sold to W. Brown, Atkinson & Co. of Hull. In 1877 she was lengthened to 286ft and given a compound engine by Earle's Co. of Hull. She emerged from her modernisation with thin funnels abreast of each other, each serving one boiler. She sank in shallow water following a collision in 1907 and was later refloated and sold to French breakers who demolished her in the following year.

BRAGANZA was built in 1856 by Smith & Rodger at Middleton Yard , Glasgow with a tonnage of 507grt, a length of 180ft 6in, a beam of 25ft 2in.and a service speed of 9 knots. She was built for trading to the smaller Portuguese and Atlantic coast Spanish ports and was lost near Leixoes in 1869.

DANUBE (2) was built in 1856 by Smith & Rodger at Middleton Yard , Glasgow with a tonnage of 1386grt, a length of 257ft 2in, a beam of 34ft 6in.and a service speed of 8 knots. She was built for Bibby but operated by the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co. In 1873 she was taken over by Frederick Leyland & Co. but only until the following year when she was sold to Robert Sloman of Hamburg who converted into the sailing ship Charles Dickens. She was acquired by A. P. Ulriksen of Mandel, Norway in 1897 and broken up in 1909.

RHONE (2) was built in 1856 by Smith & Rodger at Middleton Yard , Glasgow with a tonnage of 1387grt, a length of 257ft 2in, a beam of 34ft 6in.and a service speed of 8 knots. Sister of the Danube she was completed for Bibby but operated by the Liverpool & Mediterranean Steam Shipping Co., replacing the Rhone (1). She was transferred to Frederick Leyland & Co. in 1873 and was lost in the Atlantic in the following year.

CRIMEAN was built in 1857 by Smith & Rodger at Middleton Yard , Glasgow with a tonnage of 1475grt, a length of 256ft, a beam of 36ft and a service speed of 8 knots. Sister of the Danube she was built for the Levant Screw Steam Shipping Co. of Liverpool, acquired by Bibby in 1859 and sold to Frederick Leyland & Co. in 1873. She was sold to Robert Sloman of Hamburg in1874, converted into the sailing ship Fritz Reuter and was lost at sea in 1898.

Next
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17

 

Navigation Bar
Navigation for the Official Merchant Navy Research Site Red-Duster.co.uk
To Contact The Webmaster with comments about this site please e-mail:
webmaster@red-duster.co.uk

Merchant Navy Association is a registered charity in England & Wales - Registered No. 1135661
Website Created by Clarke Design & Media Ltd

 
the home of the Red Duster visit the Bridge a host of information awaits you visit the radio room pass us your groups details to add to our notice board use the chartrooms extensive link listings the merchant navy association official website the merchant navy association guestbook did you know about the merchant navy ships and shipping early days of the merchant navy sailing ships Click Here for more information about the new Veterans Badge